Monday, December 10, 2007

osessione

Because I have totally dropped out of pop culture (più o meno), my musical tastes seem to peak in 1998 and dwindle from there. With Italian music it is even worse, since it is almost impossible for me to keep up with it in a timely manner. Needless to say, my current obsession in Italian music (or in general) peaked in 2002 with their release of Domani Smetto, although they have been around since the early 90's.

Let me first say: I have a huge crush on Articolo 31's leadman, J.Ax. It's crushes like these that make me question in my taste in men, since J.Ax had been sporting a similiar hairstyle to Chris Kirkpatrick of *NSync for awhile. However, the argument can be made that Italians can make anything look incredibly sexy, and in fact they strive to do so.

The first of many songs of Articolo 31's that I will post is the title song from Domani Smetto. It should be said right now that I don't have a good translation for the title: domani is 'tomorrow' and smetto means 'stopped,' 'ceased,' 'quit,' and 'give up.' So something like "tomorrow stopped" is probably a close approximation.
Anyway:

EDIT: This video is fubar at times, probably to escape the censors, but more likely the person is an idiot. Sorry. Blame MTV.






Loro mi dicevano - di stare zitto e buono
They used to tell me- about being quiet and good

Loro mi dicevano - tranquillo e cambia tono
They used to tell me- calm down and change your tone

Loro mi dicevano - di non parlare con la bocca piena e camminare dritto bene eretto con la schiena di non andare fuori tema e seguire lo schema oppure andare a letto senza cena di non creare un problema che non ne vale la pena - di essere grato di essere nato nel lato del mondo che in fondo in fondo è ...perfetto ...perfetto ...perfetto, perfetto come te... Letizia
They used to tell me- about not talking with your mouth full and walking upright with good posture, about not going away from the point and following the pattern or going to bed without dinner, about not creating a problem that is not worthwhile, about being thankful to be born on the side of the world that in the bottom of the heart is perfect…perfect…perfect..perfect like you, Letizia.

(scratch) E' una tipica espressione della vocalità e della leggiadria del canto all'italiana
It is a characteristic expression of vocalism and of prettiness of the song to Italy.

Io non so bene quando è cominciato - a un tratto io non obbedivo più -- cara, è come dici tu davvero
I don’t know well when it starts – at a sign I don’t follow anymore—dear, it is like how you say, really.

Non so che cosa m'abbia rovinato - è che ho iniziato a dire troppi no forse è per questo che tu m'hai lasciato - e non ci soffrirò nemmeno un po'
I don’t know what I ruined- it is that I proceed to say too much no maybe it is for this reason that you left me- and I will not even suffer here a little.

Ma mi spiace per ora non credo sia un mondo perfetto - Domani smetto è meglio se richiami domani
But it saddens me for now not believing it is a perfect world- tomorrow stopped is better if warned tomorrow (?)

Loro mi dicevano - di stare sui binari
They told me- about staying on track

Loro mi dicevano - rispetta questi orari
They told me- respect these schedules

Loro mi dicevano - stai con i piedi a terra
They told me- keep your feet on the ground

Loro mi dicevano - è giusta questa guerra
They told me- this war is just

Mi spiace per ora non credo sia un mondo perfetto - Domani smetto ho anche lasciato su la tavoletta del cesso - Domani smetto e faccio troppi viaggi senza avere il biglietto - Domani smetto è meglio se richiami domani
It saddens me for now not believing in a perfect world- tomorrow stopped I had left again on the toilet seat- tomorrow stopped and I made too many trips without tickets- tomorrow stopped is better if warned tomorrow (? Again)

Loro mi dicevano - non calpestare l'erba
They told me- don’t step on the grass

Loro mi dicevano - non coltivare l'erba
They told me- don’t grow weed

Loro mi dicevano - ma che vestiti porti - e i miei capelli erano o troppo lunghi o troppo corti
They told me- how to wear clothes- and my hair was either too long or too short

E non lo metto il casco omologato - non metto a dieta la mia identità ho fatto il bagno dopo mangiato - e sono ancora tutto bagnato
And don’t wear the sanctioned crash helmet- don’t go on a diet my identity I made after eating in the bathroom- and I am still completely soaked

Mi spiace per ora non credo sia un mondo perfetto - Domani smetto ho anche lasciato su la tavoletta del cesso - Domani smettoe faccio troppi viaggi senza avere il biglietto - Domani smetto è meglio se richiami domani
It saddens me for now not believing in a perfect world- tomorrow stopped I had left again on the toilet seat- tomorrow stopped and I made too many trips without tickets- tomorrow stopped is better if warned tomorrow (? Again)

(scratch) E' una tipica espressione della vocalità e della leggiadria del canto all'italiana...
It is a characteristic expression of vocalism and of prettiness of the song to Italy.

No comments: